WHAT’S ON TAP?
I’m always surprised when my media friends tell me guest horror stories. From last-minute cancellations to diva behavior, there are many things that you should absolutely not do if you want to be successful as a media personality. In this episode I will share 7 ways to blow it with the media. These are directly from producers, hosts, editors and media experts who have seen the best and worst guests, experts and media personalities. Hopefully these lessons will carry over into your real-life media strategy so you become one of the best and not one of the nightmare guests that make the media’s job stressful.
You never want to be the guest who is remembered for your bad behavior. Here are 7 ways to blow it with the media – and one more I thought of during the show.
Never, ever, ever do these things:
- Be difficult. Always think about how you can make a media person’s job easier.
- Be a diva. Do NOT ever request special treatment.
- Require hand-holding. Get educated on what the media needs and be confident.
- Be late. Never be late – and if you are going to be – call immediately.
- Cancel. (Unless you’re dying or a loved one has died, you don’t miss a media appearance.
- Be annoying. Just be human, respectful and easy.
- Be a rambler. Speak in short sentences and sound bites.
- Be a mass emailer. Never – I repeat – NEVER cut and paste your emails. Customize your pitches, do your research and spell their names right.
SHOTS OF INSPIRATION
I shared a few links during the show:
Be sure to enter our monthly contest to win fab prizes. Go to contest here.
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!
If you loved this episode and want more from The Happy Hour Effect, please leave a 5-star review on iTunes or wherever you listen.
Thanks for spreading the word! Please share with your friends, co-workers and loved ones.
Interested in sponsoring the show and getting more exposure for your business? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.