Burnout is at an all-time high with organizations across industries dealing with pandemic fallout, supply chain issues, employee turnover, staff shortages, bad moods, and too much to do and not enough time to do it.
No matter what your job situation, industry, or current workload, we all face rough days at work when we have too much to do, someone is bugging you, or you have a pressing deadline. That stress and the physical response that it causes can create clouded decision-making, decreased productivity, strained communications, and a general negative hit to your leadership and reputation because of the behaviors that most of us put out when we are under stress. (Helloooo cranky resting face, closed body language, snippy communication, and other yucky stress symptoms!)
Below is a list of easy and fun ideas to make the work day an inspiring opportunity for growth amidst stress. These little Powershots can be done quickly to help you energize with feel-good endorphins and chemicals that help cancel out the stress chemicals. Plus they can boost your power and presence in the eyes of your team and help you love your job even on the not-so-great days. It just takes acknowledgement that you are in a tailspin, awareness that you need to shift your state, and the resilience to take the right actions to course correct.
Try these and share with your team:
- Get the “bad stuff” done first. The more you procrastinate, the worse those negative tasks will seem.
- Send a note to your personal email from your work email with a motivational or relaxing message to open later that night from home.
- Go outside and do something non-work related and absorb some sunshine.
- Write a motivational motto to get you through each day. Examples – I OWN this day. I have enough time for everything I want to get done. I am killing it today. it will keep your brain moving along.
- Have photos of your family and friends around to remind you of the important things in your life. Don’t be an island alone.
- If you can, light a candle or spritz some aromatherapy spray or oil to boost your mood.
- Put fun things on your calendar so you have something to look forward to each weekend.
- Take a quick break and look at vacation destinations – remind yourself that by working you’re giving yourself the opportunity for travel.
- Have a plant or two in your workspace.
- Pack a yummy lunch or snack each day.
- Do a quick crossword or Sudoku puzzle to stimulate your brain.
- During breaks, read a book you love or listen to an audiobook.
- Subscribe to online motivational emails or an app with meditations or inspirational talks.
- Listen to your favorite music while you work.
- Shut off your phone and close your email for just 10 minutes periodically throughout the day. Try to extend the length of “unplugged” time every week.
- Do desk stretches and chair yoga to keep yourself energized.
- Take a walk for a fresh scene.
- Plan a happy hour or lunch with a friend or co-worker.
- If you need to vent or feel stressed, keep yourself professional and find a place to let out your emotions – in your car, on paper, in an email (that won’t get sent) – just be sure to destroy any evidence and don’t address emails to anyone if you’re venting turns nasty.
- Remember it’s just a job, not your life. Perspective can be a lifesaver on difficult days.
There are opportunities for positive momentum and productivity in every day but it’s up to you to ensure your body and brain are charged up to stay on task. When you find yourself in the thick of things it can be easy to coast through without ever changing your patterns and over time this can really hurt your presence and reputation at work. Be sure that every day you’re building in opportunities for feel-good Powershots like the above. You can see daily Powershots on my Instagram and Facebook pages – and stay tuned for my upcoming book that will have thousands of Powershots for every situation you might find yourself in at work and at home.
Ready to help you and your team power up work and life? Let’s chat about creating a customized speaking program that’s fun, memorable, and ACTIONABLE! Kristen is a keynote speaker, emcee, and energy mastery expert who spent 15 years in corporate marketing and sales leadership roles working with Fortune 500 clients around the world. She can help your team drive growth too. Visit KristenBrownPresents.com to check your date availability and learn more.